Skip to main content

Review: 44 Charles Street

Found this book in our Ferienwohnung in Austria. It is a good holiday read, simple, happy end, someone goes through a crises and comes out stronger and happier. But do not expect too much ;)

Title: 44 Charles Street
Author: Danielle Steel
My edition: 2016, Luitingh-Sijthoff (Dutch translation)



Cover: I always think it is a bit egocentric to print your own name larger than the title of the book. I know it is probably a marketing strategy, because Danielle Steel has written over 90 books and people know her name, and she didn't design the cover herself, but still... It's not a very interesting cover.

Innerwork: The translation wasn't really good. Near the end I found more and more typo's. Some editor was falling asleep during work hours, I guess...

Compatibility with reading on the train: I didn't read this book on the train, but I think it would suffice.

Synopsis: Francesca has broken up with her boyfriend and is trying to find a way to pay for their house by herself. Therfore she takes in three boarders: a young woman that works with autistic children, a divorced man with a young son who visits him once every two weekends, and a famous cook. Living together, they start to bond, and help each other work out the problems in their lifes.

My opinion: As mentioned above, it is a good holiday read, but not more than that. I liked the presence of a cook, as I quite like to bake myself and she bakes as well :) At least once the story took a turn I didn't expect, and then I was surprised that something happened I didn't expect, so combo-bonus! But the fact that I can't remember much of the details of this story says most about the extent in which I took a liking to this book.

Favourite character
: Marya the cook, of course. Yumm, I got hungry from the descriptions of the food she made. Just the two words 'fresh croissants' were enough to make me salivate ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow!

Yesterday it was snowing, and that is quite rare in the Netherlands! It happens maybe three days a year, and I love it :) People always complain about traffic and trains and slippery roads and I get that, but the world is so light and quiet and beautiful and slow. There is nothing better than walking in the snow or curling up on the couch with a book while peaking out of the window, looking at the soft white layer on the world. Speaking of books and snow; here are a few of my favourite books featuring snow, to get in the mood: - The Rabbit Back Literature Society , by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen. Situated in Scandinavia, it is not a surprise that there is some snow involved in this book. Ella, a literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips, is selected to be a member of a secret writer society. Strange things are happening, and things are not what they seem to be... - Jane Eyre , by Charlotte Brontë. I do not associate this book very strongly with snow and winter, b

Snow & books in Austria

Dear readers, Two days ago I re-emerged from a holiday in Austria with my boyfriend and his parents. With some 50-80 cm of snow, a frozen lake and some beautiful mountains and woods around us, it was bound to be a success. We had a lot of fun walking, sledding, cross-country skiing and ice-skating (we actually completed a half marathon and earned a medal!) Of course I read a lot in the evenings, snugged up on the couch with a cup of tea. Luckily, the apartment included a small book case, because the two books I brought myself wouldn't have been enough for the whole week (and the only disadvantages of the village we were staying was that it didn't include a bookshop and that the few books at the supermarket were in German ...)   Most of the books at the apartment were in German too, including some old children's books, the less interesting old romantic-ish omnibuses, but also some Kafka. Coincidentally, it also held the book I was reading in this village las

Review: Pride and Prejudice

Title : Pride and Prejudice Author : Jane Austen First published : 1813 My edition : Collector's Library, 2003 Cover : To be honest, I'm not really a fan of dust jackets. I know they are meant to project the book, but most of the time they just get in the way. They always slide a bit, which makes them crumple, which makes you concentrate on how to hold your book, instead of focusing on what is in the book. Futhermore, a dust jacket hides the beautiful linnen cover beneath it! Look at the beautiful red cover, with the title and author in gold and the embossed logo of the publisher! It is not really visible on the photo, but the red colour is a really perfect deep dark red. Innerwork : The lines and pages have an agreeable length, the font that is used is pleasant and the book looks neat. Only the illustrations are not always placed with the same care: the distance between the bottom of the illustration and the text differs a lot. Furthermore, two illustrations do n