Skip to main content

Review: The Only Story

Waiting for the new rug that we ordered for our living room might be one of the best times to write a blog post (if you're wondering: it is red, very bold, so I am super excited and can't wait till it's here!)
On holiday in Austria I finished The Only Story by Julian Barnes. I received this book with my Christmas presents from work and had quite high expectations, as a friend of mine is a fan of the author. Therefore it came as a surprise that I actually found this book boring! It don't say this often about books, but I really didn't enjoy it. I did finish it, because I expected a change in the story, as Julian Barnes is supposed to be this very gifted writer. Unfortunately, when I reached the last page of the book, it was still boring. I do however, still think that Julian Barnes is very gifted. Read on if you want to know why!

Title: The Only Story
Author: Julian Barnes
First published: 2018, Jonathan Cape 
My edition: 2018, Jonathan Cape

Notice the awful apartment couch at the background ;)
Cover: Strange at first sight with the crossed out typed words, but when you read the book, halfway you will get the meaning. It has a dust jacket, which is a minus for me (see also the review on Pride and Prejudice here). Furthermore, the cover is far too stiff, you can hardly open the book.

Innerwork: Typeset in 11.5/14 pt Bembo, an agreeable font, size and line spacing. Good colour of paper as well (I never like the extremely white pages that make you grasp for your sun glasses).

Compatability with reading on the train: Awful, it is not possible to hold this book open with only one hand without getting a cramped thump. With two hands it is still hard to keep it open.

Synopsis: Paul, nineteen years old, living with his parents in a small village in England, falls in love for the first time. At his age, he is very happy that his relationship flies in the face of social convention, as his love is a married older woman, called Susan. They are a silent scandal and get kicked out of the tennis club where they met. Their relationship turns out not to be a kind of fling, but a long term one, and they stay together for over a decade. They face many problems, of which the (aggressive) husband is just the first.

My opinion: As already mentioned above, I was really bored while reading this book. I kept hoping for some turning point, which eventually came during the second part of the book, when you find out that not everything in the relation between Paul and Susan is what it seemed like in the third part of the book. It's just that nothing happens and Paul goes on and on with his analyses of almost everything, which is really tiring.
What I did like were the changes in perspective. The first part of the story, where Paul tells how he met Susan and what great times they had, is a first person narrative. A few pages in the second part, it changes to second person (which is really rare). The third person narrative is introduced in the third part of the book, but sometimes the story switches back to first or second person. This stroke me as really interesting, and a comment is made about it in the story itself, in the third part of the book:

But nowadays, the raucousness of the first person within him was stilled. It was as if he viewed, and lived, his life in the third person. Which allowed him to assess it more accurately, he believed.

To me, this playing with the perspective that Julian Barnes does, made the book worthwhile. It made me think about the story more, but it did not distract me from the story, which is good. For me, the parts in first person are the events that Paul wants to remember, the things he enjoyed. The events told in second person are the bad things, about Susan's husband, about too much alcohol. Those are the things that happen in other people's lifes, not it yours. So he distances himself from him. It is a sort of excuse. If you were me, if this happened to you, you would have done this, reacted that way. Right? And in the end, when he is older and looks back at what happened, he views his life in the third person, as he says himself.
Usually, when I think a book is boring, I would not pick up another book by that author. However, although I didn't like the story at all, this book made me curious about other things that Julian Barnes wrote. He didn't just write down a sequence of events, but he thought carefully about how the character must have felt, how different events shaped this person, and intertwined that in the story. And I think that makes a great writer.

Favourite character: Joan, a friend of Susan, which also becomes Paul's friend. A straightforward, gin drinking, cat and dog person.

P.S. The new rug is great! It is less red than expected, made of hemp and recycled leather. It smells good and looks pretty. We just have to lose our one pink cushion, but I think we can manage that ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow & books in Austria

Dear readers, Two days ago I re-emerged from a holiday in Austria with my boyfriend and his parents. With some 50-80 cm of snow, a frozen lake and some beautiful mountains and woods around us, it was bound to be a success. We had a lot of fun walking, sledding, cross-country skiing and ice-skating (we actually completed a half marathon and earned a medal!) Of course I read a lot in the evenings, snugged up on the couch with a cup of tea. Luckily, the apartment included a small book case, because the two books I brought myself wouldn't have been enough for the whole week (and the only disadvantages of the village we were staying was that it didn't include a bookshop and that the few books at the supermarket were in German ...)   Most of the books at the apartment were in German too, including some old children's books, the less interesting old romantic-ish omnibuses, but also some Kafka. Coincidentally, it also held the book I was reading in this village las

Snow!

Yesterday it was snowing, and that is quite rare in the Netherlands! It happens maybe three days a year, and I love it :) People always complain about traffic and trains and slippery roads and I get that, but the world is so light and quiet and beautiful and slow. There is nothing better than walking in the snow or curling up on the couch with a book while peaking out of the window, looking at the soft white layer on the world. Speaking of books and snow; here are a few of my favourite books featuring snow, to get in the mood: - The Rabbit Back Literature Society , by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen. Situated in Scandinavia, it is not a surprise that there is some snow involved in this book. Ella, a literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips, is selected to be a member of a secret writer society. Strange things are happening, and things are not what they seem to be... - Jane Eyre , by Charlotte Brontë. I do not associate this book very strongly with snow and winter, b

Review: Pride and Prejudice

Title : Pride and Prejudice Author : Jane Austen First published : 1813 My edition : Collector's Library, 2003 Cover : To be honest, I'm not really a fan of dust jackets. I know they are meant to project the book, but most of the time they just get in the way. They always slide a bit, which makes them crumple, which makes you concentrate on how to hold your book, instead of focusing on what is in the book. Futhermore, a dust jacket hides the beautiful linnen cover beneath it! Look at the beautiful red cover, with the title and author in gold and the embossed logo of the publisher! It is not really visible on the photo, but the red colour is a really perfect deep dark red. Innerwork : The lines and pages have an agreeable length, the font that is used is pleasant and the book looks neat. Only the illustrations are not always placed with the same care: the distance between the bottom of the illustration and the text differs a lot. Furthermore, two illustrations do n